What are the symptomatic differences between Alzheimer’s and dementia?
Query by M-30: What are the symptomatic variations in between Alzheimer’s and dementia?
I know these two ailments have separate causes, but outwardly how do you inform them apart?
Answer by Yaybob
They aren’t two different things. Alzheimer’s disease is one particular of the causes of dementia. Dementia is not a diagnosis it really is the name of a symptom (or syndrome if we suggest a cluseter of signs and symptoms and/or physical findings) that can be triggered by several different particular illnesses.
Right here is a partial list of the causes of dementia from http://www.emedicinehealth.com/dementia_overview/page2_em.htm#Dementia%20Causes
Dementia has numerous different causes, some of which are difficult to tell apart. Numerous medical conditions can trigger dementia signs, specifically in older people. The causes of dementia include different ailments and infections, strokes, head injuries, drugs, and nutritional deficiencies. All dementias reflect dysfunction in the cerebral cortex, or brain tissue. When the underlying method does not permanently damage the cortical tissue, the dementia could often be stopped or reversed. In classifying dementias, medical experts may separate reversible and irreversible dementias.
* Alzheimer condition: This is the most frequent trigger of dementia
* Vascular dementia: brought on by atherosclerosis
* Parkinson condition
* Huntington illness
* Creutzfeldt-Jakob condition (mad cow condition
* Head injury
* Infections: this kind of as meningitis and encephalitis, HIV/AIDS and syphilis
* Brain tumors
* Toxic exposure: Individuals who operate all around solvents or hefty metal dust and fumes
* Hormone problems: this kind of as the thyroid gland,
* Nutritional deficiencies: Deficiencies of particular nutrients, specifically B vitamins, can trigger dementia if not corrected.
* Chronic alcoholism:
You you don’t tell them apart. If you’ve got a situation of dementia, you try to establish which is the lead to in case it can be treated. Alzheimes demands a brain biopsy to diagnose for specific which is seldom performed ahead of autopsy.
You can study the description of the signs and symptoms right here: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/dementia_overview/page3_em.htm
Know much better? Leave your own solution in the comments!
This weeks top deals
- Q&A: What are the differences between Altzeimers and Vascular Dementia?
- Q&A: Where is the damage occuring and what structures are damamged during Alzheimers?
- What are the differences and similarities of Dementia and Alzheimer’s?
- Does boxing cause dementia or other health problems?
- Is alzheimers a type of dementia, or are they two different diseases?